Friday, May 30, 2008

Trials

We all go through trials in this mortal life, but sometimes we have to put other things through their paces, ourselves.
Recently I have been giving tineye a try.
It works about as well as expected. It currently allows registered users (those you sign up, wait for, receive, and then activate their invitations,) a chance to search a database of online photos. This ccan be done by entering the url of a photo you want to search for in the search field, or you can also upload photos from your own computer, as well.
They admit to having a limited database, but so far it works pretty well. Any of the photos and images that I expected it to recognize, it recognized, such as company logos, even one's I've edited or changed slightly.
The very first photo that I tried, and in fact was the reason that I wanted to try tineye, was from a story on Digg that showed a guy supposedly jumping from cliff to cliff at the Grand Canyon.
TinEye easily recognized the photo and provided me with a list of other sites where the photo, and similar photos could be located. I eventually discovered the Flickr page where it originated, and a Snopes site debunking some of the claims in the Digg article.
Of course, most of my own personal photos didn't even register in the system, and even if they had, there would only be a few sites in the results list, such as my Flickr page, and my .Mac gallery.

I have also been trying out Firefox 3 for Mac.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Followers